• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

TX expunge misdemeanor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tinaa

What is the name of your state? Texas

About 7 years ago I pled no contest to a misdemeanor of false report to a police officer. It was a mess and I was a fool. At arraignment I was told no attorney would be appointed because it was just a misdemeanor charge. I consulted an attorney who told me I didn't have the money for a jury trial, just plead no contest because it was ONLY a misdemeanor. I did. Now I want to be a teacher. I've read the statutes but can't make head nor tail out of them. Can I get this expunged? What can I do? Any idea what it will cost? I'll get a loan if necessary. I'd never been in trouble before, nor ever will be again! This is eating me alive. I have got to get this mess behind me once and for all.

JETX

Regretably, since the results of your trial was a conviction, Texas does not allow that conviction to be expunged, even a misdemeanor one.

Generally speaking, any type of a misdemeanor that is dismissed prior to trial or to a plea bargain may be expunged. Hence, if you were charged with a misdemeanor which was later dropped before trial, that offense would be expugnable. Further, if you were charged with a Class C misdemeanor and received deferred adjudication with the charge later being dismissed, that offense is also expugnable. Beyond this, misdemeanors or felonies are expugnable if the person went to trial and was acquitted.

The requirements and process of expunction in Texas is found in the Code of Criminal Procedure. §55.01, et seq at:
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/cp/cp0005500toc.html

Tinaa

Thanks JETX. That is what I thought I read. I also read that if I got a pardon from the governor I could then get it expunged. Did I read that right? I feel like my whole future is screwed up because I was an idiot one time. I guess I'll always have to own up to this mistake and hope my future employers understand that anyone can be a fool once.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">