• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Violating Probation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gowsky

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

Hi, I'm Gowsky and I was assigned to informal adjustment two months ago for possesstion of marijuana and parefinellia. At the time of my arrest I was 17, and once i started informal adjustment (basically probation) I had already turned 18. So I'm on juvenile "probation" for four months with a suspended license and I am required to write a 5-page paper and pass a monthly urine screen at my monthly meeting with my probation officer.

I have suffered from drug addiction for many years, and I had been having a very hard time quitting once on probation. I smoked marijuana for the first two weeks after my baseline, attended the next meeting, and denied doing so and took my urine screen, knowing that my levels had gone down, because two weeks was the longest I had ever gone without smoking. The second month (where i'm at now), I had a slip up on New Years, and then once again 11 days prior to my next meeting. My meeting is now 7 days away, and I'm very scared of what may happen.

I have been attending AA as of lately in hopes to treat my addiction, and I am planning on getting a therapist. But when I go into my meeting in 7 days, I don't want to tell him that I messed up, because i'm scared that I will violate and possibly go to jail, not to mention i havn't recieved my results from my last urine screen.

Giving the above information, I would like to know what the punishment and procedure is for violating probation, and also for violating it twice in case that is the situation. Hopefully this information, will allow me to mentally prepare myself for what may happen, and i think it may let me sleep easier.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

FlyingRon

Crystal ball is hazy, but I suspect as long as you are being proactive one slip up isn't going to send you to jail. While AA may not look bad to your PO, I have severe doubts it will help much in the long run.

Gowsky

It works for some, and it has worked for me in the past. I had 9 months sober, and attended 9+ meetings a week and created many good relationships, but when you start to slip in the program like i did, I ended up going back out and using again. I have faith in AA, but I don't have as much faith in myself...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">