• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Violation of Probation NJ / Jail time

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrStein99

In NJ my girlfriend was sentenced to 6-months of jail. She did not show for probation 2 times in December, and had a $650 balance on fines. Showed up for court (without money) judge sentenced her.

Is there any way to get her out, if we had the money for the balance of the fines?

FlyingRon

What's her excuse for not reporting to the PO? That's more damaging than the inability to pay the fines.

DrStein99

I can't really explain why she didnt show up - to me it just doesnt make sense (but its been a long time for me since I've been in trouble). The threat of doing jail time imposed a serious state of mental depression with her. Near the end she was barely staying awake and very depressed, and hadn't contacted her family for months. I did my best to urge her to get a job and get this fixed and was presented with arguments and conflicts, as many depressed people do.

A condition of the probation was to find a job. Due to the felony conviction on her record, this was nearly impossible. She was able to get a job at the temp service, but it starts now and she is in Jail.

Last edited:

BL

She was sentenced for violation(s) .

She must do her time , unless she could be released on parole at some point .

DrStein99

With a 180 day sentence, the officer at the jail told me possibly early in 5 months, and maybe sooner if she gets a job and becomes a trustee.

I don't know too much about parole or how that works. What are those conditions, and is there anything I can do with the parole office to help invoke starting that any earlier?

Family2009

What's her excuse for not reporting to the PO? That's more damaging than the inability to pay the fines.
I agree with FlyingRon 110%. From the very first day she started supervision she knew what was expected. That's part of her standard conditions. If she had any issues going on she could have spoken to her PO. That's what they are there for. Does she have supervised release to follow?

DrStein99

Well, if I could go back in the past and change things I would. I can only help from here on out, in anyway I can. If you look at it like that, then - well; maybe everyone on PAROLE shouldn't have shoplifted, stolen, robbed, reject child support, and/or whatever else to be on parole to begin with, let alone violate the parole to go to jail....

I don't know if she has supervised release. I didn't hear the judge mention that at the trial and sentencing. I know the judge asked about paying the fines (at the hearing), and she stopped paying when she became unemployed. She DID say she called the parole office, and the judge said there was no record of it.

The judge said (as best I can remember) "well this has gone on long enough, and it WILL ALL be taken care of today!". So I am under the impression the sentencing is her punishment to take care of the remainder of parole and fines; I don't know - I dont have paperwork or anything to analyze.

I called the parole office and got the officer's voicemail - hoping to get some answers or help there, if possible.

BL

With 180 days sentence she may not even qualify to apply for parole .

Good time should apply , if she's a good inmate .

DrStein99

Its been a month now. And I knew there had to be an answer so I did some digging around:

Page 30
VI. GENERAL INFORMATION – County Jail Sentence
Each adult inmate of a county correctional facility becomes primarily eligible for parole consideration upon the service of 60 days of his aggregate sentence or one-third of the aggregate sentence, whichever is greater. Whenever any such inmate’s parole eligibility is within six months of the date of sentence, the Judge shall state such eligibility on the record, which shall satisfy all public and inmate notice requirements. N.J.S.A. 30:4-123.51(g).

According to this text, a 6-month sentence (and again, I will state this is a probation violation for not paying fines; and not a violent crime); it appears possible 2-3 months of that would be served in a county jail.

Rosie13

Hello, I know its been a few years since this was posted so its a longshot.. but my boyfriend is in the exact same situation and got sentenced last week. I’m just curious as to how this worked out for her and if you have any advice for us?

quincy

Hello, I know its been a few years since this was posted so its a longshot.. but my boyfriend is in the exact same situation and got sentenced last week. I’m just curious as to how this worked out for her and if you have any advice for us?
You can send a private message to the original poster but, after this many years, it is unlikely you will get a response either to a private message or to your message here.

No two cases are ever "exactly the same." And what happened to someone 10 years ago will have little bearing on what will happen to your boyfriend today. Laws change.

It is preferred on this forum that, if you have a legal question, you start your own thread. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">