• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Violations in New York State

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lawkev

What is the name of your state? New York

I was arrested twice and in both cases I was convicted of a violation which is not a crime in New York State. However, it has come back to haunt me because people seem to think I have a criminal record. My current employer did not want to hire me at first after I submitted my court dispositions. I knew that I did not have a criminal record because the deal in both cases was for me to plead quilty, participate in a program and then I would be convicted of a violation and not a misdemeanor. So I did a background check on myself with the New York State Office of Court Administration and there were no results found i.e. I had no criminal record. I gave this to my employer and then they accepted me. However, this background check is not a certified document. The only certified document that I know I am able to get is a disposition from the court. The problem is that the disposition does not state whether the offense is a violation or misdemeanor and it accually may look like a misdemeanor on the disposition. I have applied for public housing here in New York City and they are giving me a hard time because they think I have a criminal record. I gave them a copy of the background check that I did with the state and the say they will review my case. In a month or so I'll know whether or not they will find me eligable. If they don't then I have a right for a hearing. My question is if I have to go to a hearing what can I do to prove that I don't have a criminal record. I believe I have done all that I can possibly do as an individual and I may be falling into a crack in the system.

Thank You

seniorjudge

Let's start from the top:

I was arrested twice and in both cases I was convicted of a violation which is not a crime in New York State.

What, pray tell, do you mean? If you were arrested and convicted, that means you committed a crime.

lawkev

That's the problem**************...

"What, pray tell, do you mean? If you were arrested and convicted, that means you committed a crime."

Not in New York it does'nt.

In New York there are infractions, violations, misdemeanors and felonies. Infractions and violations are not a crime in New York. I was convicted of a VIOLATION NOT A MISDEMEANOR OR FELONY. I hope I made myself clear. Now if anyone can help it will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Last edited:

BL

What is the name of your state? New York

I was arrested twice and in both cases I was convicted of a violation which is not a crime in New York State. However, it has come back to haunt me because people seem to think I have a criminal record. My current employer did not want to hire me at first after I submitted my court dispositions. I knew that I did not have a criminal record because the deal in both cases was for me to plead quilty, participate in a program and then I would be convicted of a violation and not a misdemeanor. So I did a background check on myself with the New York State Office of Court Administration and there were no results found i.e. I had no criminal record. I gave this to my employer and then they accepted me. However, this background check is not a certified document. The only certified document that I know I am able to get is a disposition from the court. The problem is that the disposition does not state whether the offense is a violation or misdemeanor and it accually may look like a misdemeanor on the disposition. I have applied for public housing here in New York City and they are giving me a hard time because they think I have a criminal record. I gave them a copy of the background check that I did with the state and the say they will review my case. In a month or so I'll know whether or not they will find me eligable. If they don't then I have a right for a hearing. My question is if I have to go to a hearing what can I do to prove that I don't have a criminal record. I believe I have done all that I can possibly do as an individual and I may be falling into a crack in the system.

Thank You

New York recognizes violations and traffic infractions as offenses. Offenses that are identified as violations and traffic infractions are not crimes. Being convicted of a violation does not give the defendant a criminal record. Examples of violations include disorderly conduct and drinking alcohol in public. A jail term of up to 15 days is theoretically possible for most violations and infractions, but in the context of the New York City Criminal Court, not a likely outcome.

I knew that I did not have a criminal record because the deal in both cases was for me to plead quilty, participate in a program and then I would be convicted of a violation and not a misdemeanor.
Then you need to talk to the clerk of the court to see was entered .

I have applied for public housing here in New York City and they are giving me a hard time because they think I have a criminal record.
Public housing required you to have a background check when you applied .

As senior pointed out , You were arrested for a crime , not a violation offense .

When a law authority runs a background check , the check will show any Arrest , and what the outcome is/was .

lawkev

Then you need to talk to the clerk of the court to see was entered .

Public housing required you to have a background check when you applied .

As senior pointed out , You were arrested for a crime , not a violation offense .

When a law authority runs a background check , the check will show any Arrest , and what the outcome is/was .
1. You said: "Then you need to talk to the clerk of the court to see was entered." Do you mean to see what was entered?
2. When I go to the court house there seems to be only one service they provide for people who want case dispositions. You pay $10 and they give you a stamped document. This document states that I was arrested for a crime as you said. It does not seem to state clearly that I was convicted of a violation and not a crime but it is all in codes and I'm a layman so I don't really know what it says. All I know is that if I show it people they think I have a record.
3. The housing authority has already found me ineligable because of the two arrests. They are just reviewing the case again because I gave them the background check I did on myself with the state and that is not even a official document. Now I'm waiting for there response. If they still find me ineligable then I have a right to a hearing. The problem is that I have no new proof to bring to the hearing.

You say go to the court and I've done that twice and I've called.

BL

1. You said: "Then you need to talk to the clerk of the court to see was entered." Do you mean to see what was entered?
Yes , that is what I meant to type .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">