• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

VOP question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

imscrewed1

What is the name of your state? new york

In july of this year I was charged with felony grand larceny while on probation. In the town(where I committed the charge) after much discussion i was given a plea to plea guilty to petit larceny and to get 3 yrs probation. I have not accepted the offer yet.
In the city, I have a possible VOP hearing..I got an appearance paper in the mail in august and appeared to the court. The judge NEVER told me that I was violating my probation(the PO did not violate me along with the supervisor) she automatically entered a not guilty plea, gave me an attorney, and ROR'ed me. I was never given a petition from the court telling me I was being violated, the judge never told me she wanted me violated. she then told me to come back in 2 weeks. I left the court with no papers and nothing telling me i was being violated. My probation was supposed to end yesterday sept 10th, the judge at that time issued me an DOD(declation of deliquency) based on the felony charge i guess?? so according to the judge my probation is extended until the case gets cleared. so i have to appear next week.
My lawyer just called me and told me that there might be a procedural error here because I have not been charged with anything(was not given any papers stating charges) and was not told by the judge that i was violated. HOw can I be charged with no paperwork. The assistant DA has no papers about my possible VOP. what do you all think??? i hope i was clear here if you need further clarification please ask.
chris

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">