• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is the average sentence for 2nd degree burglary?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

echo8126

Washington

Ok. so i have some stupid friends. they broke into a local highschool and stole four new computers, and were caught. they are both over 18, one is still in high school (the one they broke into) and the other just graduated. both were charged with second degree burglary and i'm curious to see what the minimun/maximum sentence is. i've heard that it depends on the amount of what you tried to steal, in which case they're screwed. on the other hand i've heard of probation and community service, which seems odd because burglary is a felony.

JETX

echo8126 said:
i'm curious to see what the minimun/maximum sentence is.
Washington Revised Code:
RCW 9A.52.030 Burglary in the second degree.
(1) A person is guilty of burglary in the second degree if, with intent to commit a crime against a person or property therein, he enters or remains unlawfully in a building other than a vehicle or a dwelling.
(2) Burglary in the second degree is a class B felony.

As for possible punishment:
Per RCW 9.94A.515, Burglary 2 is a class III offense.

Per RCW 9.94A.510 (Table 1 -- Sentencing grid.), depending on their 'offender score', the range of sentence for a Class III offense is 2 months to 5 years.

What, if any, final sentence is given depends on the court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">