• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What color tie for court should i wear?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alex20

I am currently awaiting trial for assault. In my situation, I was acting in self defense when a group of guys approached me at a park threatening to beat me up. I fought one of the guys, gave him a black eye and was arrested and charged. Unfortunately for me, the guys' friend testified against me saying i was the aggressor so now the only way i can beat the charges is to go to trial and claim self defense. Anyway, i am here asking for advice on what to wear. I want to show respect to the judge as well as show that i'm taking this matter seriously. I am going to wear a suit (white dress shirt, black slacks, and a black jacket). I am curious to hear other people's opinions and recommendations on what tie i should wear along with my outfit. I know i need dress conservative but what would you consider conservative? (color, pattern, design, polka-dot, solid, striped, plaid???)

Last edited:

LdiJ

I am currently awaiting trial for assault. In my situation, I was acting in self defense when a group of guys approached me at a park threatening to beat me up. I fought one of the guys, gave him a black eye and was arrested and charged. Unfortunately for me, the guys' friend testified against me saying i was the aggressor so now the only way i can beat the charges is to go to trial and claim self defense. Anyway, i am here asking for advice on what to wear. I want to show respect to the judge as well as show that i'm taking this matter seriously. I am going to wear a suit (white dress shirt, black slacks, and a black jacket). I am curious to hear other people's opinions and recommendations on what tie i should wear along with my outfit. I know i need dress conservative but what would you consider conservative? (color, pattern, design, polka-dot, solid, striped, plaid???)
I doubt that the color tie you wear is going to make any appreciable difference. However a solid color or solid with a subtle stripe, in a non bold color is normally "conservative".

quincy

What is the name of your U.S. state or, if not in the U.S., what is the name of your country?

Although this is not really "Esquire" and we generally do not handle fashion advice, if you know what school the judge graduated from, a college tie could be a plus. ;)

As long as you show respect for the court with your attire (and a suit and tie is a good way to do this, although blue is considered a more "trustworthy" color than black), you should be fine. I would not rely entirely on fashion advice to get your charge reduced or dismissed, however. I hope you have hired a good attorney and have a good defense, which is the best way to avoid the color orange.

sandyclaus

That's not a legal question.

If you want fashion advice, go to your local boutique.

alex20

What is the name of your U.S. state or, if not in the U.S., what is the name of your country?

Although this is not really "Esquire" and we generally do not handle fashion advice, if you know what school the judge graduated from, a college tie could be a plus. ;)

As long as you show respect for the court with your attire (and a suit and tie is a good way to do this, although blue is considered a more "trustworthy" color than black), you should be fine. I would not rely entirely on fashion advice to get your charge reduced or dismissed, however. I hope you have hired a good attorney and have a good defense, which is the best way to avoid the color orange.
I'm in Pennsylvania. Also, after finding out the name of my judge, i googled him and found out he is a Princeton grad. And I was also thinking of wearing blue to court, a solid light blue to be more specific. I also have another tie which is plaid in light green and blue. Do you think plaid is good for court?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I'm in Pennsylvania. Also, after finding out the name of my judge, i googled him and found out he is a Princeton grad. And I was also thinking of wearing blue to court, a solid light blue to be more specific. I also have another tie which is plaid in light green and blue. Do you think plaid is good for court?
Sure thing. Go for it. :cool:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Impressing the judge only works if you are having a bench trial. You can't dress to please all twelve. You can act appropriately however. Meaning:
1) Be polite.
2) Don't stare at the jury.
3) Keep your facial expressions neutral -- no glaring, laughing, grimacing.
4) Don't let a jury see negative tattoos (words like F**k you, swastikas, burning flags, the middle finger, naked women, naked men, dirty expressions).
5) Don't give any outbursts from your table. Keep a pen and paper with you and write down anything you think of asking, saying, wanting your attorney to mention.
6) Show up clean and showered (you would think that wouldn't have to be said).
7) Don't wear an overly obnoxious amount of cologne.

LdiJ

Ok...not to be the fashion police but "light blue"? Stick with the black. Ask somebody who can see the plaid tie whether or not is appears garish in any way.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I get a feeling our OP would turn to stone if sunlight hit him/her/it. :cool:

Last edited:

mmmagique

In the show "Chicago", there is a song/dance number called the Cell Block Tango. All of the ladies who were in for murder had a red scarf, except for the truly innocent one, and she had a white scarf.

Just an observation. :)

I'd wear dark grey with that outfit and in that situation, not a charcoal but dark grey....You are being accussed of aggression and you want to prove it was a response instead of an aggressive act....You want the most 'laid back' color you can find, aggressive 'multi color' ties or bright colors would be a bad idea

quincy

Although I recommend a conservative navy blue over grey, alex20 could wear all white and a halo and it will not matter a whit if he does not have a good attorney and a good defense to the assault.

While dressing like a Hell's Angel probably wouldn't help his case any, it wouldn't hurt that much if he has evidence and facts enough to support his self-defense claims and to discredit the eyewitness testimony. The best way to build a solid defense is to hire a criminal defense attorney and to follow Ohiogal's advice (with the addition to her list of "don't smell of smoke").

TigerD

While dressing like a Hell's Angel probably wouldn't help his case any, it wouldn't hurt that much if he has evidence and facts enough to support his self-defense claims and to discredit the eyewitness testimony.
While I normal agree with Quincy - do agree with general meaning of the above post - I have to disagree with the specifics. If he is not a Hell's Angel, dressing as one will certainly hurt him on many levels. From jury preconceived notions to the actual beating he will take from real Hell's Angels. :)

DC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">