• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What does this sentencing mean?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tkpookie74

What is the name of yly U.S. lawour state (on)? Georgia

I have a friend who was sentenced in Catoosa County Georgia in a case between him and the State of Georgia. Below is what I found online yesterday after sentencing can someone tell me in more detail what this means exactly? Is parole an option?

60 YEARS SERVE 30 YEARS DOC

Thank you in advance for your time.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I have a friend who was sentenced in Catoosa County Georgia in a case between him and the State of Georgia. Below is what I found online yesterday after sentencing can someone tell me in more detail what this means exactly? Is parole an option?

Sounds to me like you should find a new friend to hang out with.
Beyond that...ask your friend...he should know.

ETA: "DOC" means "Department of Corrections"

quincy

The DOC, as Zigner noted, stands for Department of Corrections. Generally the state sentence is listed first followed by the time served.

If that is how Catoosa County, Georgia, lists it, the "60 years serve 30 years DOC" would seem to mean that the state sentence for the crime your friend committed is 60 years and the time served is 30 years in the Department of Corrections. If your friend was just sentenced to 60 years, it appears that he might be eligible for parole after he has served 30 years.

But I could be wrong. You could call the County and ask.

CourtClerk

The DOC, as Zigner noted, stands for Department of Corrections. Generally the state sentence is listed first followed by the time served.

If that is how Catoosa County, Georgia, lists it, the "60 years serve 30 years DOC" would seem to mean that the state sentence for the crime your friend committed is 60 years and the time served is 30 years in the Department of Corrections. If your friend was just sentenced to 60 years, it appears that he might be eligible for parole after he has served 30 years.

But I could be wrong. You could call the County and ask.
You are correct. 30 years prison, 30 years probation

quincy

^^^^

Thanks for affirming, CourtClerk. I am never sure if a state has some adopted some odd notation that varies from sentencing guidelines.

So ... tkpookie74, you might want to invest in some notecards and stamps. You won't be hanging out with your friend for awhile.

CourtClerk

^^^^

Thanks for affirming, CourtClerk. I am never sure if a state has some adopted some odd notation that varies from sentencing guidelines.

So ... tkpookie74, you might want to invest in some notecards and stamps. You won't be hanging out with your friend for awhile.
I now live in GA now. GA has some of the most ass backwards ways to report things ever. Antiquated isn't even the word for it.

Last edited:

quincy

I now live in GA. GA has some of the most ass backwards ways to report things ever. Antiquated isn't even the word for it.
Ahh. You moved. I have always found California and New York to be the most confusing states. I can't imagine Georgia being worse.

At any rate, welcome to the eastern half of the country. :)

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Not necessarily. It could mean there is more than one charge and combined (served consecutively) they would be 60 years but he was sentenced to 30 years. Once released, he may serve parole but not probation.

quincy

Not necessarily. It could mean there is more than one charge and combined (served consecutively) they would be 60 years but he was sentenced to 30 years. Once released, he may serve parole but not probation.
Doesn't it mean he was sentenced to 60 years but must serve a minimum of 30, this whether charges were combined or not?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Doesn't it mean he was sentenced to 60 years but must serve a minimum of 30, this whether charges were combined or not?
It could mean a lot of things. We have no clue about for what he was convicted. Murder and kidnapping? He could have been sentenced to 30 years each to be served concurrently.. Hence sentenced to 60 but serving 30. Could mean that he was facing charges which merged and he must serve 30 before parole. I highly doubt he will get 30 years PAROLE. Could be wrong though. There are many things that this could be mean but we do not know the charges or what was considered during sentencing. All we know is he is serving 30 years.

quincy

It could mean a lot of things. We have no clue about for what he was convicted. Murder and kidnapping? He could have been sentenced to 30 years each to be served concurrently.. Hence sentenced to 60 but serving 30. Could mean that he was facing charges which merged and he must serve 30 before parole. I highly doubt he will get 30 years PAROLE. Could be wrong though. There are many things that this could be mean but we do not know the charges or what was considered during sentencing. All we know is he is serving 30 years.
Oh. I see what you were questioning now. Possible parole after 30 years seems reasonable. The 60 years indicates the crime was pretty darn serious, at any rate.

Whatever the case, tkpookie74 can probably have all clarified simply by calling the sentencing court or the Georgia DOC.

Here is a link to Georgia's "Parole Consideration, Eligibility & Guidelines" from the Georgia State Board of Pardons and Paroles, which could help: https://pap.georgia.gov/parole-consideration-eligibility-guidelines

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">