• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What happens with bad checks?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MO68

What is the name of your state? MO
Just some background info.....
About 4 years ago my husband and I lived in MO. At the time we didn't have very much money and we were struggling to make it by. My husband was offered a good position out of state so we moved and things began to pick up for us. We had had some bad checks out but we picked them up after we got on our feet. (Not something we're proud of).
This year I was layed off from my job so we decided to move back home to MO so our family could help us get on our feet again. Anyway we found out this month that there were some checks that we hadn't picked up. Hubby was araigned (sp?) today and they told him he had to pay by the next court date. We're not sure how we're going to do this since money is tight but we'll come up with something. Anyway what happens then? They asked my husband if he had an attorney and that he could apply for a public defender. Is this something that he may end up doing jail time for? If we can't pay all the debt do they throw him in jail? I know this is our own doing, but we depend on my husbands income and if he were out of work for any period of time it would ruin us. We're just skating by as it is. Anyway, if anyone has any experience with this I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

E

eddiepowers

what an idiotic reply...

your old man will prob'ly get some fines or something. if the checks were in your own name, of course. you can always say you closed the account and "to the best of your knowledge" all financial obligations were met. NEVER admit that you were having hard times, etc. especially to the court. "anything you say can and will be used against you..." so, ride it out and keep your mouth shut about the gory detalis. You might just get a break.

I

itsallgood

....but it WAS funny.:D

although I doubt humor is what the OP was looking for.

:(

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

eddiepowers said:
what an idiotic reply...

your old man will prob'ly get some fines or something.

====================================

My response:

And yours, dear Eddie, is more than stupid because it bears no relation to law or reality. At least Son of Slam's response was funny!

Our original writer said, "They asked my husband if he had an attorney and that he could apply for a public defender."

You see, EddiePowerIdiot, if you knew anything about criminal law, that statement was a BIG tipoff that the crime is a jailable offense. I'm not going to teach you about "Gideon vs. Wainwright" (a U.S. Supreme Court decision), but always remember that if someone is saying that you can apply for a public defender, you can be damned sure there's a chance you're looking at jail or prison time. In short, you're NOT entitled to a defense attorney IF only fines are involved.

An accused whose liberty is at stake and who is indigent is entitled to court-appointed counsel. [Gideon v. Wainright (1963) 372 U.S. 335, 342-343, 83 S.Ct. 792, 795-796]

Find and read "Gideon", fool.

So, get with the program, EddieIdiot.

IAAL

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">