+ Reply to Thread
    pat1991 is offline Junior Member

Question Will i do jail time for 3rd degree assault if its my first offence?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? oregon
    I am an 18 year old High School Senior and have never been in trouble with the law in my life. Recently i was arrested along with my friend and charged with assault 3. I saw a man from about 30 yards away grab and shove my friend so i ran to help him and the man pulled a knife on us, i pushed the guy off his balance and he stumbled into a gas station paking lot. we followed him from each side and i knocked him to the ground and beat him until he would give up the knife. another man came to help us but was cut by the knife in the head as was my friend in the hand. as soon as the police showed up they threw us in cars and off we were. i am still in shock! Realisticly can anyone tell me if i face jail time, this will ruin my chances of graduating and going to the military (being a felony)What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
    FlyingRon is offline Senior Member
    You need a lawyer. Felonies are serious (and will affect you severely whether you go to jail or not). What makes you think you have the right to go chase down someone and beat the crap out of him?
    vhinrich is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pat1991 View Post
    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? oregon
    I am an 18 year old High School Senior and have never been in trouble with the law in my life. Recently i was arrested along with my friend and charged with assault 3. I saw a man from about 30 yards away grab and shove my friend so i ran to help him and the man pulled a knife on us, i pushed the guy off his balance and he stumbled into a gas station paking lot. we followed him from each side and i knocked him to the ground and beat him until he would give up the knife. another man came to help us but was cut by the knife in the head as was my friend in the hand. as soon as the police showed up they threw us in cars and off we were. i am still in shock! Realisticly can anyone tell me if i face jail time, this will ruin my chances of graduating and going to the military (being a felony)What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
    You definitely need a lawyer. Tell your attorney the real story.

If this felony goes on your record, it'll be a huge bump along your way. Every school and employer asks whether you've had a felony before. Sure they're not "supposed" to discriminate but nevertheless, it does happen.

If possible, a lawyer can get your felony charged dropped to a misdemeanor which is obviously better than felony. He/she might also be able to drop the charge all together if circumstances allow.
    FlyingRon is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vhinrich View Post
    You definitely need a lawyer. Tell your attorney the real story.

If this felony goes on your record, it'll be a huge bump along your way. Every school and employer asks whether you've had a felony before. Sure they're not "supposed" to discriminate but nevertheless, it does happen.
    What makes you think it's illegal to discriminate against felons?
    cbg
    cbg is offline Senior Member
    And along with your miserable grammar and spelling comes an inability to read dates: this post is coming up on three years old. The OP is long gone and the matter long since settled.
    Two things I am tired of typing: 1.) A wrongful termination does not mean that you were fired for something you didn't do; it means that you were fired for a reason prohibited by law. 2.) The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding contract or CBA expressly says otherwise. If it does, the terms of the contract apply.
    Blue Meanie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cbg View Post
    And along with your miserable grammar and spelling comes an inability to read dates: this post is coming up on three years old. The OP is long gone and the matter long since settled.
    I reported the illiterate post you are referring to.
    cbg
    cbg is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, dear!
    Two things I am tired of typing: 1.) A wrongful termination does not mean that you were fired for something you didn't do; it means that you were fired for a reason prohibited by law. 2.) The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding contract or CBA expressly says otherwise. If it does, the terms of the contract apply.