• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will i do jail time for 3rd degree assault if its my first offence?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pat1991

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? oregon
I am an 18 year old High School Senior and have never been in trouble with the law in my life. Recently i was arrested along with my friend and charged with assault 3. I saw a man from about 30 yards away grab and shove my friend so i ran to help him and the man pulled a knife on us, i pushed the guy off his balance and he stumbled into a gas station paking lot. we followed him from each side and i knocked him to the ground and beat him until he would give up the knife. another man came to help us but was cut by the knife in the head as was my friend in the hand. as soon as the police showed up they threw us in cars and off we were. i am still in shock! Realisticly can anyone tell me if i face jail time, this will ruin my chances of graduating and going to the military (being a felony)What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

FlyingRon

You need a lawyer. Felonies are serious (and will affect you severely whether you go to jail or not). What makes you think you have the right to go chase down someone and beat the crap out of him?

vhinrich

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? oregon
I am an 18 year old High School Senior and have never been in trouble with the law in my life. Recently i was arrested along with my friend and charged with assault 3. I saw a man from about 30 yards away grab and shove my friend so i ran to help him and the man pulled a knife on us, i pushed the guy off his balance and he stumbled into a gas station paking lot. we followed him from each side and i knocked him to the ground and beat him until he would give up the knife. another man came to help us but was cut by the knife in the head as was my friend in the hand. as soon as the police showed up they threw us in cars and off we were. i am still in shock! Realisticly can anyone tell me if i face jail time, this will ruin my chances of graduating and going to the military (being a felony)What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
You definitely need a lawyer. Tell your attorney the real story.

If this felony goes on your record, it'll be a huge bump along your way. Every school and employer asks whether you've had a felony before. Sure they're not "supposed" to discriminate but nevertheless, it does happen.

If possible, a lawyer can get your felony charged dropped to a misdemeanor which is obviously better than felony. He/she might also be able to drop the charge all together if circumstances allow.

FlyingRon

You definitely need a lawyer. Tell your attorney the real story.

If this felony goes on your record, it'll be a huge bump along your way. Every school and employer asks whether you've had a felony before. Sure they're not "supposed" to discriminate but nevertheless, it does happen.
What makes you think it's illegal to discriminate against felons?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And along with your miserable grammar and spelling comes an inability to read dates: this post is coming up on three years old. The OP is long gone and the matter long since settled.

Just Blue

And along with your miserable grammar and spelling comes an inability to read dates: this post is coming up on three years old. The OP is long gone and the matter long since settled.
I reported the illiterate post you are referring to.:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">