• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Worried Victim/Accelerated Appeal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Missouri My ex-husband is in prison in Missouri, but I currently live in another state. He has numerous appeals filed pro se in various circuit courts and now appellate courts seeking to have his convictions overturned, receive a new parole hearing, and to be resentenced/have his sentence reduced. He has nothing to do besides work out and file motions and briefs. Currently, an Appellate case is docketed for December 12 according to MO case.net. Under docket entries, it is listed as 'Accelerated'. Is this any indication of the validity of his case?! Do these inmates' jailhouse lawyer appeals ever go anywhere, or am I worrying needlessly? He sees himself as the victim, claiming he should have been charged with a C felony in one instance rather than the B felony he pleaded to. He has the luck of the devil...

calatty

Jailhouse lawyer appeals rarely go anywhere, and appeals following a guilty plea have close to no chance of success. If he though a class C felony was what he should have gotten, he shouldn't have pled to a class B felony. I don't know what "accelerated" means in Missouri, but my guess is that the designation is because it is a guilty plea appeal, or because it is a second (or third?) appeal and therefore can be gotten rid of quickly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">