• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Age discrimination in school.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Seamless

I believe that I've been blateltly discriminated against at my school. The problem is that I'm not being allowed to go to the 2002 School Prom. The school's policy on the prom is: "The prom is a formal dance that is reserved for Junior and Senior students. Guests of Juniors and Seniors must also be at least a Junior in high school."
Now, the girl I want to go with is a senior this year and is still in school. I am currently 16, not enrolled in school, but have completed my GED tests, giving me the equivalent of a diploma. I withdrew from school earlier this year as a sophomore, but now have my GED. Their reasoning for not letting me go is that I "would" be a sophomore. Am I wrong to consider that age discrimination? Besides that, I don't fit into the description of who can and can't go stated by the vague policy. When I talked to the principal, he told me that they were just going on "what had been done in the past." Which depletes the entire reason for having a written policy.

J

justathought

Guess what? You didn't follow the directions at the top of the screen (and you don't state public or private school), so I'll give you a general guideline. Usually, in age discrimination, the age of the "protected class" is 40+.

You still have a few more years to go. ;)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If the rules are being applied evenly across the board, that no one other than a junior or senior is *some* high school is being admitted, then you are not being discriminated against because you do not qualify under the description. If, however, some people who don't qualify are being allowed to attend but not others, then you might be able to make a case for discrimination. Not age discrimination though. As justathought points out, under Federal law and almost all state laws, age discrimination begins at 40. In the very few states that have a younger age, it's generally 18 or 21.

S

Seamless

Heh, sorry, I'm in North Dakota, and it's a public school. And yeah, if they were to only allow Juniors or Seniors to go, I would be fine with it, but the thing is that they allow people in college or older kids that have graduated to go. Thanks for the replies, btw.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">