• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

violation of educational rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jawswriter

To start off with, my daughter has been diagnosed with impulse control dissorder and occasionally has violent outbursts mostly aimed at hurting herself. While we lived in Florida we had an excelent system of comunication with her school and (along with her medication) worked together to help her keep under control. The occasional outburst did happen but it was handled immediately and her school day continued with no further incidents. This school was instrumental in helping us keep records on her behavior in order for us to get an accurate assesment of her condition.
In January, due to the recession, we were forced to move back to Illinois and have had nothing but trouble with the school system in Alton Illinois. Upon enrolling her, we requested a conference with her teacher and principal and didn't hear from them until the first time My daughter had an outburst. She was suspended and only then did we find out that they had not even requested her records from her old school. My wife called her old school and give them the address and had them sent. They immediately flagged here as a trouble maker despite our numerous attempts to open a line of comunication and discuss her condition. Since then they have suspended her numerous times and have lied to us telling us that they were going to start an evaluation process, only for us to find out today from the lady that handles the behavioral cases that last night was the first time she had even heard my daughter's name. Now they have forced us into homeschooling in which they are supposed to provide a tutor (the woman mentioned previously) and negleted to tell the tutor about her classwork so my daughter went an entire day without any school involvment because of their negligence. I am afraid that they are violating my daughter's rights in order to keep up the facade of having a perfect school. If anyone could give us any advise as to what actions we should be taking or questions we should be asking it would be greatly appeciated

Thank you.

D

dorenephilpot

Has your daughter been designated a special needs child?

If not, you need to get that done.

If she already is a special needs child in the school's eyes, then there are specific steps that the school must follow before kicking her out of school.

You NEED to go talk to an attorney in your state who specializes in special education law.

Here are some websites to give you more information about your child's rights:

reedmartin.com
wrightslaw.com
mayerslaw.com

Hope this information is useful to you!

J

joshuaadvant

There may be other attorneys in your area. Two that I have used and/ or spoken with are Katherine Black and Thomas Kennedy. Katherine is in Carbondale I think but travels around the state. Mr. Kennedy, I believe, is in Alton or close to it. I don't have the phone number. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">