• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Criminal Law Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

loz

What does it mean that a criminal case has been dismissed? Does it mean that person was still charged with a crime?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by loz:
What does it mean that a criminal case has been dismissed? Does it mean that person was still charged with a crime?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Yes, in order to get to the point where a "charge" or an indictment is "dismissed", then a person would have had to have been arrested and charged with that crime. When a case, either Civil or Criminal is dismissed, it's usually over. There are exceptions, like if a case is dismissed "without prejudice", such case or charge can then be refiled once stronger evidence is found. If a case is dismissed "with prejudice", it's over forever. If your case was "dismissed with prejudice", the records are then sealed and you never have to admit that you were arrested and charged. All because the government and the "people" could not prove their case against you, does not mean that you should live with a "blot" on your personal record. Only when you are found guilty by a judge or jury, or if you plead guilty, or plead Nolo Contendere, does such
remain on your record for the world to see.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">