• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

military law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jones_m_s

does the military have a time limit in the appeal process for a court martial? I was sentenced in a summary court martial and not given time to make a proper appeal. When I got out of the brig, I made the appeal then and I feel that they are purposely stalling on the appeal.

G

Gassed

Sorry to Hear of your plight. I am not an Atty. but I was a Marine. At least when I was in during the 80's you had only 30 days to file an appeal after a guilty sentence. BUT unfortunately the UCMJ concerning Summary CM's states that you do not even need to be PROVEN guilty to be convicted. If you just got out of brig and had a 30 day (max under summary CM) sentence you may be screwed. Always go for a special CM (unless you are truely guilty) even though the penalties can be far worse if convicted (6 mo. brig time and BCD max) you have to be proven guilty to a real military judge or panel (your choice). NOT railroaded by some newbie captain under orders to fry you by your CO. in a sham summary CM.

Good Luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">