• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parole Violation & violent crime

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

robynz

Someone I know is on parole and committed a vilent crime- stabbed someone- the person that was stabbed is not dead or dying. This is his second criminal offense(first one was armed robery) this time it was not armed robery. They were both drunk and had a fight. How long can he go to jail for? What other alternatives does he have? It wasn't planned beforehand it was a heat of the moment situation.

[This message has been edited by robynz (edited September 21, 2000).]

R

robynz

No it does not make it ok. It means it's not murder. It means that the worst didn't happen even though it could have.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by robynz:
Someone I know is on parole and committed a vilent crime- stabbed someone- the person that was stabbed is not dead or dying. This is his second criminal offense(first one was armed robery) this time it was not armed robery. They were both drunk and had a fight. How long can he go to jail for? What other alternatives does he have? It wasn't planned beforehand it was a heat of the moment situation.

[This message has been edited by robynz (edited September 21, 2000).]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

I am thoroughly empathetic to the situation, Robin. I can fully understand that heat-of-the-moment situations can cause a reaction requiring a stabbing. We've all been there, and needed to stab someone, perhaps more, when things don't go our way. It's a perfectly understandable response to an outrageous situation. It's truly unfortunate that the vast majority of Americans don't carry a knife, or a gun, for those times when we need to lash out. I really wish those damn laws weren't on the books - - laws like Mayhem, Attempted Murder, and the like.

I have a friend in just this type of situation and it's unfair. All he was doing was trying to sell his car. The buyer gave my friend $100.00 less than my friend was asking, and wouldn't cough up the balance. Words were exchanged, a fight broke out, and as the guy was walking away, my friend was so upset that he pulled out his knife and went after the guy and stabbed him in the neck. A perfectly normal response. That guy should have paid the $100.00 balance, but just absolutely refused. So, I believe he caused the problem and deserved that kind of response . . . or worse!!

Now my friend is in Folsom Prison, and for what? What a waste. He's spending 7 years to Life for a "crime" that shouldn't be a crime, and was completely justified under the circumstances. Our prisons are filled with people like your friend and mine. We need the room for more serious offenders, and should rise up to fight against the "system", getting these rediculous laws off the books, and getting our loved ones back home where they belong.

But, what makes your friend's situation even more outrageous is the fact that your friend was drunk, and couldn't possibly have known that he was stabbing someone else. I think that would be a terrific defense to the charges. With that, I predict that, at worst, your friend will only get 30 days in jail, and at best, be let off with just a warning.

We have to stick together Robin, and combat these useless laws that keep us from freely going "on the offense" when we feel we are wronged. We need more respect in Society, and the only way to get it is to let everyone know that we are carrying a knife or gun, and are ready to protect ourselves at a moment's notice.

Good luck Robin, and it's going to be just fine.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

[This message has been edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE (edited September 21, 2000).]

LegalBeagle

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by robynz:
No it does not make it ok. It means it's not murder. It means that the worst didn't happen even though it could have. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is ok then.. thanks for clearing it up. So, as long as I do not kill the next person who upsets me, it should be ok then ? Cos, there is currently an awful lot of people upsetting me ! Must remember to drink first though to make sure I will be ok .. Thanks!

LegalBeagle

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE:

My response:

I am thoroughly empathetic to the situation, Robin. I can fully understand that heat-of-the-moment situations can cause a reaction requiring a stabbing. We've all been there, and needed to stab someone, perhaps more, when things don't go our way. It's a perfectly understandable response to an outrageous situation. It's truly unfortunate that the vast majority of Americans don't carry a knife, or a gun, for those times when we need to lash out. I really wish those damn laws weren't on the books - - laws like Mayhem, Attempted Murder, and the like.
etc..
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was hoping to reply with something witty or intelligent.. but.. but, in this case I can not.. what a post !! I tip my hat off to you sire ..

R

robynz

You, my friend are a hazard to this society, Hurting someone because you have no self control means that you are not ready to live out in society. I do not condone what my friend did nor do I justify it. It was wrong and not worth the trauma to himself and his family. I believe that he made his choice ignorantly. He made his choice now he should pay- I just want to know how is this going to harm him and how long of a sentence can he get for it. He paid his debt to society the first time I don't believe it should be taken into account. People need to learn self control you dont always have to be the one to win and a $100 is not worth his life.

R

robynz

The fact that he was drunk does not make it an excuse or makes it any better it means that he was not in all his senses when he did it. It doesn't make it any better nor does it excuse him from the fact that he did it. Read my post again- I need to know how he can be helped- What amount of time will he do in jail?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Dear Robin:

Whoooosh, right over your head.

I guess you missed the fact that I was writing tongue-in-cheek. Helloooo!! My writing was a "spoof", with the exception of the 7 years to Life. That is the usual sentence for recidivists (re-offenders) on counts of Attempted Murder and Mayhem.

A person's record, in all of the 50 States, is always is used as a measure to determine any subsequent sentence.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

T

Tigres

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE:
Dear Robin:

I guess you missed the fact that I was writing tongue-in-cheek. Helloooo!! My writing was a "spoof", with the exception of the 7 years to Life. That is the usual sentence for recidivists (re-offenders) on counts of Attempted Murder and Mayhem.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Poor IAAL. All that time wasted by being taken seriously! :cool:

Tig

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tigres:

Poor IAAL. All that time wasted by being taken seriously! :cool:

Tig
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Hi Tig!

Yeah, I know. I even thought I was really, really "telegraphing" my response also; but, next time I'll try to make my response even more implausible.

Ready to go out for a "Float"?

IAAL

------------------

LegalBeagle

Yeah, I know. I even thought I was really, really "telegraphing" my response also; but, next time I'll try to make my response even more implausible.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, if it is any consolation, I thought it was hilarious.. but I probably know you better than the poster..

T

Tigres

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>

My response:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, thank you so much for asking, but I, uh, gotta wash my hair. (Really. There's chewed up teething biscuit in it!)

'sides, LB just invited me for a ride on his motorcycle!

Tig

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tigres:

My response:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, thank you so much for asking, but I, uh, gotta wash my hair. (Really. There's chewed up teething biscuit in it!)

'sides, LB just invited me for a ride on his motorcycle!

Tig
My response:

Rats!

IAAL

------------------

LegalBeagle

Rats!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just checked, they are definately teething biscuits !

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">