• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Criminal CHARGE being treated like a CONVICTION by employer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Lamar816

In 1997, I was arrested in Virginia and charged with DUI.
I went to court and the judge convicted me with Reckless driving instead. A fine was imposed and I was put on unsupervised probation for 6 months.

It has been many years, and just recently I applied for a job. I got the job, but received a letter from a superviser. In my application they asked me to disclose any criminal convictions. I was not convicted of any criminal offenses, so I did not disclose the DUI charge in 1997.

The supervisor left this message on my answering machine: "we don't have any information on the criminal charge, and we need you to tell us what the crime was".

My question is do I have to dislose this information to her?
I did respond to the request with a letter stating that I don't feel I should have to defend a charge that I was found innocent of in a court of law. Why does she need more information and should I supply it to her?

Still trying to defend a charge!
Sincerely,
Julia Barber

R

RedneckRoy

The answer is simple, don't tell them what you were arrested for. Tell them what you were convicted of. i.e. "hey boss, I ain't got no criminal record. I got myself one of them "wreckless driving" tickets a while back. And no criminal offense for a traffic violation."......You know what I mean Vern?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">