• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

illegal cable boxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gouveia78

Cablevision has found out that I purchased an illegal cable convertor and are currently suing me for 30,000. They are willing to settle for $6,000 after much negotiation. Should I settle? What are my chances of beating the case if I go to trial? Does anyone know of anyone who went through one of these trials and if so, what were the results? I found that it is not illegal to purchse these boxes but it is illegal to use them. Don't they have to prove that I used it? Will a booklet speaking of the legality of these convertors be of any assistance in a trial? Please help!!!

M

midgejailrn

Oh come on..you purchased an illegal cable box and you didn't use it? Give me a break!
I think the cable company has possibly made you think about what you have done...shame on you!

E

Edward

Your toast mate! No judge or jury will believe you brought it for decorating your home or as a coffee toaster.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Edward:
Your toast mate! No judge or jury will believe you brought it for decorating your home or as a coffee toaster.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

What is a "Coffee Toaster", and how many people have one in their kitchen? Now, I've heard of Coffee Roasters, and Bread Toasters, but not a Coffee Toaster. Perhaps, you're on to something wonderful. I think I'll go and pour some coffee in my toaster and see what happens . . .

To our writer, you'd better consult with an attorney.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

E

Edward

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE:
What is a "Coffee Toaster", and how many people have one in their kitchen? Now, I've heard of Coffee Roasters, and Bread Toasters, but not a Coffee Toaster. Perhaps, you're on to something wonderful. I think I'll go and pour some coffee in my toaster and see what happens . . .
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your funny IAAL sometimes :)

It is a mat for putting your coffee on. Many illegal items can be used in this way so as to prove they were brought for protecting your nice table.

P

peter

Look Cablevision is the scummiest cmpany i have seen in a long time, you have to be twice as scummy...

Just where on earth did the come up with such a rediculous figure....

Conter off with this you will give the box back, and pay for the full rainbow service which i think is $89 a month for the months you had the box.....if you have a reciept that would be great....

I mean you would have had to use the box for YEARS to accumulate $6000 in service..

A

AMBERLOVESTRUCKS

HEY, HERES THE THING HERE. FIRST OF ALL YOU WENT AND BOUGHT A CABLE BOX. THAT IS A LEGAL MOVE. AND BECAUSE IT IS LEGAL FOR YOU TO OWN A CABLE BOX, IT IS NOT YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TRYING TO PROVE WHAT YOU WERE USING THE CABLE BOX FOR. IT IS HOWEVER THE CABLE COMPANYS RESPONSIBILITY TO PROVE THAT YOU ARE USING THE CABLE BOX ILLEGALY. IN ORDER FOR THEM TO CHARGE YOU W/OUT PROVING THE ILLEGAL USE, THEY WOULD HAVE TO GET EVERY OTHER PERSON IN THE COUNTRY WHO BOUGHT A CABLE BOX AND HAVE THEM GO TO TRIAL. DON'T LISTEN TO THE OTHER PEOPLE. JUST BECAUSE IT OBVIOUS WHY YOU BOUGHT A CABLE BOX, DOES NOT MEAN PROOF IN ANY WAY, THAT YOU WERE BREAKING A LAW

T

Tracey

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AMBERLOVESTRUCKS:
HEY, HERES THE THING HERE. FIRST OF ALL YOU WENT AND BOUGHT A CABLE BOX. THAT IS A LEGAL MOVE. AND BECAUSE IT IS LEGAL FOR YOU TO OWN A CABLE BOX, IT IS NOT YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TRYING TO PROVE WHAT YOU WERE USING THE CABLE BOX FOR. IT IS HOWEVER THE CABLE COMPANYS RESPONSIBILITY TO PROVE THAT YOU ARE USING THE CABLE BOX ILLEGALY. IN ORDER FOR THEM TO CHARGE YOU W/OUT PROVING THE ILLEGAL USE, THEY WOULD HAVE TO GET EVERY OTHER PERSON IN THE COUNTRY WHO BOUGHT A CABLE BOX AND HAVE THEM GO TO TRIAL. DON'T LISTEN TO THE OTHER PEOPLE. JUST BECAUSE IT OBVIOUS WHY YOU BOUGHT A CABLE BOX, DOES NOT MEAN PROOF IN ANY WAY, THAT YOU WERE BREAKING A LAW<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What are you smoking girlfriend? Purchase of an unauthorized cable box creates a rebuttable presumption that the box was used illegally from the date of purchase. Our caller will have to prove that he only used the box a doorstop. Which he won't be able to do. So, how long did you use the box & what would you have had to pay if you'd had legitimate service? Counteroffer to settle for that amount. If you can't pay at all, tell them so. Then file bankruptcy and discharge the debt.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Edward:
Your funny IAAL sometimes :)

It is a mat for putting your coffee on. Many illegal items can be used in this way so as to prove they were brought for protecting your nice table.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where we come from we call those do-hickeys a coffee coaster. We know this response does not do you a latte good but we're not giving you a hill of beans.

Signed,
Juan Valdez and his brother Two

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">