• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help me please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jlr2000

Just found out I have a warrant for my arrest in Texas I now live in another state about 1000plus miles away. It is for illegal use of a credit card. I was told it was only good in a 200 mile radius what I am wondering is will they come and arrest me here. It was an ex thing my name was removed from the card and I knew nothing about it. Over 5 yrs ago the warrant was issued.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Your arrest warrant won't expire for a very long time. Especially for illegal use of credit card. If you were mistakenly pegged for this and you think you are innocent, you need to get a lawyer to smooth this all out.

May I suggest you read the entire Criminal Law section at the freeadvice.com homepage. After you get this taken care of (police can peg you in other states if there is a warrant for your arrest -- other means, like dmv records, etc. Don't chance it), you can try to do what is called an expungement. That is also described in the criminal law section at the freeadvice.com homepage.

M

Mad

Similar situaton.
Approximately two years ago, my son was picked up in Tex. on an arrest warrant from Fla.
He paid a bail bondsman $500. (10%) bond to get out of jail.
He showed up for every court appearance, for several months, but Fla. never followed up and evidently chose not to come for him or send for him. The judge here said, as far as he was concerned it was over.

Should he not be entitled to get that bail money back....or is it best to let sleeping dogs lie?

How long would one have to wait to know if the charges from Fla. had been dropped?

It makes me mad that he is out that money, just because someone, (ex girlfriend) chose to file charges and then drop them and yet the money is already lost to the bail bondsman here.

mad

T

TOPPER

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mad:
Similar situaton.
Approximately two years ago, my son was picked up in Tex. on an arrest warrant from Fla.
He paid a bail bondsman $500. (10%) bond to get out of jail.
He showed up for every court appearance, for several months, but Fla. never followed up and evidently chose not to come for him or send for him. The judge here said, as far as he was concerned it was over.

Should he not be entitled to get that bail money back....or is it best to let sleeping dogs lie?

How long would one have to wait to know if the charges from Fla. had been dropped?

It makes me mad that he is out that money, just because someone, (ex girlfriend) chose to file charges and then drop them and yet the money is already lost to the bail bondsman here.

mad
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course it makes you mad. But that's not how bail bondsman work. You pay a percentage and they put up a the entire amount so your loved one can wander free. Generally, you have to have good credit or something to put up as collateral cause if your loved one skips out, they can come after you for all the money they are out! The thanks they get for their trouble if you are a good boy/girl and return to court at the appointed time? They get to keep their percentage fee!

T

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">