• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

drug charge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jadajag

my husband is in jail for the third charge this year of poss. of drugs and drug items. he had no prior record. his lawyer has a deal with the procesecuter that offers 1 year jail sentance for each charge and he will not oppose probation. is this a good deal? his lawyer says the worst that could happen is that the judge would give him three years in jail and after 7 months he would be up for parole. we live in Kentucky.

E

Edward

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jadajag:
my husband is in jail for the third charge this year of poss. of drugs and drug items. he had no prior record. his lawyer has a deal with the procesecuter that offers 1 year jail sentance for each charge and he will not oppose probation. is this a good deal? his lawyer says the worst that could happen is that the judge would give him three years in jail and after 7 months he would be up for parole. we live in Kentucky.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

and you are filing for divorce when?

J

jadajag

i am not going to file for divorce yet. we have been married for 22 years and he has only been addicted to drugs for 11 months. i want to help him if i can.

L

LadyLiberty

First of all, why do so many people think that a spouse being arrested and/or having a drug problem should be a reason for divorce? Ever hear the part of the marriage vows about for better or worse? It has been proven that convicts with strong family ties have a better chance of getting their acts together than those that really have nothing to lose. It takes a strong person to stand by a loved one in these circumstances, but unless he has done something else to make you consider divorce, I think you should continue to support your husband. He really needs you now. Without going into detail, I am speaking from experience. Good luck!
I am confused about the plea bargain you mentioned, if the most he can get is 3 years and they are offering him 1 year on each charge, isn't that the same amount of time? See if his lawyer can suggest rehab. instead, sometimes the court will go for that. I am skeptical of most rehab. programs, but it would be better than jail and if he has only been addicted a year, it might be worth a try. You didn't mention his drug of choice and that can sometimes determine how effective rehab. might be.
My thought are with you, let us know how thing turn out, okay?

------------------
Legalize Freedom

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">