• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

3rd offense,HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

csprik

In Michigan. Our son, age 19, has just been caught with his 3rd MIP on Sept. 9. He went to arraignment Fri. and pled guilty, but the magistrate would not accept the guilty plea. She asked if he'd consulted a lawyer, he said no, he can't afford one being he's a college student. He asked if one could be appointed, she said probably not. Why not? Now he has to go to a pre-trial. Why the unaccepted guilty plea? What can he expect at a pretrial? What can he expect for a judgement? He was not driving (all 3 were MIP's, one at a party, one as a passenger in a car & now). This one he was walking around campus and got busted, blew a .1 on the breatholizer. As parents we are very frustated with his repeated behavior, yet he is our son. Bailing him out monetarily is not the answer, we feel he needs to take any financial responsibility. He is a nice kid (the police officer even wrote that on the back of his ticket. What that means I don't know, but...)He has not been in any other trouble. We just don't know answers to above questions. Thanks for any help!

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Sounds like the judge is stepping out of bounds here and he IS entitled to an attorney.

You should have him get one through the legal aid foundation of his county or call your state bar association and ask for the following:

1) Legal aid foundation
2) Pro bono criminal law foundation
3) any lawyers willing to put in some quality pro bono hours
4) etc, etc,

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">