• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is this a stupid question?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mrjoshua

I left this same story in the accident room, but im not sure if this isnt a better forum.(no one answered me there.)

The only way to ask this question is to tell this story, so please bear with me.

About a month ago now my fiance was abducted, and repeatedly raped by a man now awiting trial here in florida for kidnapping, and sexual assault.In the course of this he forced her to rent a hotel room.He went in with her to the office to make sure she didnt escape or tell the clerk what was happening. when the desk-clerk asked for id she realized her purse was still in the car, and went to go get it. once she saw he was not following her she tried to escape on foot, however the assailent chased her down, and forced her into the room,(which the clerk had given the key to without seeing her id)to be raped a few more times until she did succesfully escape in the morning.
my questions are:is the rapist more likely to get off because he made her put the room in her name?

Is the clerk, or hotel in any way liable,for not checking id,not recognising a suspicious situation<(when she tried to escape),not providing any security at all, or not at least calling the room to see if everything was all right?

W

watchful eye

Can't help but think that you are the "man awaiting trial in Florida". Can't help you here. Do you have a lawyer? Does she have a lawyer? Ask your lawyers what to expect. I hope the rape victim gets some counseling.

T

Tracey

The rapist won't get off, especially if the State calls the clerk to testify that the perp was in the office, and chased her down when she tried to escape. The hotel may be liable. Sue them & they should settle, since they don't want the story getting out and damaging their reputation.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

LegalBeagle

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tracey:
The rapist won't get off, especially if the State calls the clerk to testify that the perp was in the office, and chased her down when she tried to escape. The hotel may be liable. Sue them & they should settle, since they don't want the story getting out and damaging their reputation.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For there to be a chance, the car or the route to the car must be visable to the person in the motel.

------------------
Psst.. I am not an attorney, and even if I was, I would not tell you. What I am giving you is not legal advice in anyway. For proper legal advice, retain a person who openly admits they are an attorney.

T

Tracey

Now, LeagleBeagle, you shouldn't narrow the pool like that. Very few of us actually admit we're attorneys. :) I often tell people I'm an engineer just to avoid listening to whatever rant they've got going this month. NOBODY asks an engineer about their work!

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

LegalBeagle

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tracey:
Now, LeagleBeagle, you shouldn't narrow the pool like that. Very few of us actually admit we're attorneys. :) I often tell people I'm an engineer just to avoid listening to whatever rant they've got going this month. NOBODY asks an engineer about their work!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would you like fries with your bigmac ma'am ?

------------------
Psst... I do not work for MacDonalds, and even if I did, I would not tell you. For stale bread, tired tomatoes, frozen onions and weak dripping white stuff with no taste please find a drive through window with a person who openly admits they make that stuff.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">