• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

accidentally charged with petty theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CSUstudent

I accidentally held a bookstore book with my own and forgot that I had it because I had to go to class. I was charged petty theft. How do I prove my innocent? Please help! I never been to court or charged with any crime.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

YOu need to get a criminal defense attorney ASAP to subpoena the tapes of this store if there are any. And to argue to the court ASAP that you did not have the mental state to steal.

Try attorneypages.com. your college may also offer low cost or no cost representation.

T

Tracey

Your defense is that you did not intend to remove the book from the store without paying; you just forgot you had it in your stack of personal books. Many people have inadvertently walked out of a store without paying. The charge is probably because the clerk says you didn't stop when told to. Get a lawyer & get the charges dismissed.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

C

CSUstudent

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tracey:
Your defense is that you did not intend to remove the book from the store without paying; you just forgot you had it in your stack of personal books. Many people have inadvertently walked out of a store without paying. The charge is probably because the clerk says you didn't stop when told to. Get a lawyer & get the charges dismissed.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Thank you for your professional advice!

R

retank

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CSUstudent:
I accidentally held a bookstore book with my own and forgot that I had it because I had to go to class. I was charged petty theft. How do I prove my innocent? Please help! I never been to court or charged with any crime.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

R

retank

I just went through a similar incident, and I think the term everyone is looking for here "malicious intent". My court appointed defendant couldn`t come up with the term, I ended up consulting other prisoners,,,I am not an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">