• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legality of Citations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

retank

Recently I received a citation. It was preprinted from the last decade and there was ________ 199_ on it(where the date went)
The 199(space) was left blank) and the date 09/23/00 was written in the preceding space. I was always told that a legal document must have all spaces filled out correctly for it to be binding. So what I am wondering is if, because the 199_ was not filled in and even the fact that it was on the document,,and because the date was written by hand as dd/mm/yy, is the citation legal?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by retank:
Recently I received a citation. It was preprinted from the last decade and there was ________ 199_ on it(where the date went)
The 199(space) was left blank) and the date 09/23/00 was written in the preceding space. I was always told that a legal document must have all spaces filled out correctly for it to be binding. So what I am wondering is if, because the 199_ was not filled in and even the fact that it was on the document,,and because the date was written by hand as dd/mm/yy, is the citation legal?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

What you say is correct, and that it's a good "rule of thumb" to go by. However, for the most part, that "rule" applies to contracts, and not traffic tickets. Since your ticket has a date on it, it's perfectly fine - - insofar as that issue is concerned.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">