• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Victim's Rights

• Thread starter Victims Without Rights
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

Victims Without Rights

My son was the victim of a beating. At the time he was seated in his vehicle and was attacked by a man with a "weapon". The window of his vehicle was shattered, the exterior of the vehicle was bashed, my son got pieces of the shattered glass in his eye and arm and when the other man hit him in the eye with his fist (shattered glass already in place) the inside of his eyelid was cut. In addition he suffered contusions to several of his ribs. My son pressed charges. The officer that took the report acted accordingly and attempted for two day to arrest the man, who had gone into hiding. On the third day after the attack, the case was turned over to the detectives. Since then the detective working on the case has been very rude to us. He has continually badgered my son in an attempt to get him to drop the charges. Almost four weeks have passed since the attack and nothing has happened my son's attacker. Now the detective is trying to negotiate a settlement. He has made it quite clear that he is biasing his report (which has not been filed with the DA yet) in favor of my son's attacker and the DA will only see what he puts in his report. Based on that the DA will probably not file charges and the case will be closed at which time my son could possible be subjected to law suits and damages, etc. I am having a very hard time understanding how this works. MY SON WAS THE VICTIM OF A VIOLENT CRIME AND THE POLICE DEPARTMENT IS HELPING HIS ATTACKER GO FREE. What can we do to get this case back on track?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">