• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My son was charged after he called police 3 times

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cassar38

My son brought a coworker home with him after work because this guy had no home or job and my son was trying to help him. This one night my son and coworker returned to my sons home late evening, my son went into his room to clean up, his roomate was watching t.v. The coworker started fighting with roomate and proceeded to destroy my sons home. My son called the police and the guy left before police arrived, the coworker went to the hospital and claimed my son tried to stab him. Police arrived at my sons took a report and pictures of all the damage the coworker caused, then left. The coworker came back after the hospital and started threatening my son, again my son called the police, they came and took a report and made the guy leave. The next morning my son was awoken by the coworker trying to get in the home, again my son called the police, they came and the coworker demanded to get his belongings from my sons car. My son agreed and with the police he started gathering things from the car, during this process the police shoved my son aside claiming they seen something hanging from the visor, without my sons permission or a warrent, they found 3 small bags of pot. My son tried to explain that he did not know it was there, why would he call the police if it was his and/or he knew it was there. Police took my son into custody, fingerprinted him, at no time was his rights read nor did they inform him of a right to attorney. They released him on a personal bond though there was no paperwork or anything signed. He recieved a paper of seizure of his car and paycheck, informing him it would cost 250.00 to appeal. He was told by police he was to call them in 2 days and turn people in or would have a warrent for his arrest. He has called the courts who have told him to keep calling back, apparently this has not yet gone before the prosecutor, and he has not yet been charged. Problem is he payed the money to fight for his car, he has now lost his employment, Attorneys want a retainer of 2,500 he is scared and confused. He is guilty till proven innocent and it will cost him a fortune to prove his innocence. What should he do? must he get a lawyer? If the prosecutor reads the police reports, wouldn't it prove that my son was being harrassed, and this did not belong to him, the coworker demanded HIS belongings and trashed my sons home and my son called for police help 3 times. It makes no sense that my son would have possesed or known about the pot and still called police without getting rid of the illlegal substance. They seized his vechile for possesion with intent to deliver, my son was in bed and the stuff could have been put in the car at any point by the coworker. My son and his car were at home. What steps can my son take or what rights does he have to help himself through this without going into complete poverty? Thank you, any advise or help is appreciated.

------------------

T

Tracey

Pay the money for the attorney. Take out a second mortgage if you have to. That he called the cops does not show he didn't know the pot was there -- drug users are dumber than that all the time. Did the roomie have a key to the car? Was it unlocked? There's plenty of motive to frame son. If son took a drug test, would he pass it? This might help the prosecutor decide whether to drop the charges or not.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

C

cassar38

Tracy, my Son is not a drug user and yes if tested would come up clean. He is also a 4.0 student in ITT tech, who wouldn't be dumb enough to lead police to illegal drugs of anybodys. No Disrespect intended! This is what is frustrating me, because he tried to help out a person who he now knows he shouldn't , he is paying for this jerks crime and it's destroyed all he's built and will destroy his future. Not to mention, I have taught my kids to help people in need and even if they do you wrong you dont stop caring about people in need or quit trying to help others. As for a second mortgage, Not I nor my son own anything of value, I have been a single mom of 4 for 22 years without financial or emotion support, I cant help myself and 3 girls at home right now, we are looking at a shelter before long. I thought you were innocent till proven guilty, it appears to be the other way around. I would hate to think someone who didnt like me could put something in my home or car and I would get busted for it!

------------------

D

Disillusioned

Innocent until proven guilty? For some, but not for all. I am very frustrated and extremely disillusioned by the justice system. I just fond out today that the police department does not have to file a criminal case with the district attorney's office if they feel the events leading up to a violent crime justified the crime. Who gave them that authority? Isn't it supposed to be decided in a court of law?

I take it that your son is young like mine. My son was the victim of a violent crime and the police are doing nothing except badgering, threatening, and negotiating with him to drop the charges. Or else.....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">