• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

baggage mixup = bull#$@ arrest, need advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

grasshapa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
after volunteering in japan for two months on my summer break from college, i end up in newark airport after a long 24+ hour trip back home to new york. i had 2 bags checked with my airline (but they were sent to kennedy) and 1 carryon with me. So i arive in newark at 1AM and goto the baggage claims office, where i put my bags down and talk to the woman about my jfk bags. (mistake 1) when leaving, i grab my bag and a bag that looked like my bag(but wasn't). I leave the airport and goto the bus-stop outside, where i put the bags down and wait for the bus. when the bus comes, i look down and then realize the second bag was not mine. (mistake 2) i unzip the front compartment of the bag and see a guys business card, and see he is a US customs agent, and then I get terrified that I would be arrested if I brought the bag back inside thinking that they would ask where my bag was and i would say kennedy. so i see the guys phone number and say to myself i could call him as soon as i got home, which would be 1/2 an hour later, and tell him i grabbed the wrong bag and wanted to deliver it to him. so (mistake 3) i get on the bus. the guy runs on the bus (i dont know how he knew it was me) and says you stole my bag. i told him it was an accident and he didnt believe me. he called the police, they came, questioned me, didnt believe me, brought me to the station where they arrested me (without fingerprinting me) and made me sit in a cell for 3 hours. after 3 hours they just told me to go with one of the officers and he dropped me back off at the airport and gave me a summons which doesnt have a court date yet. i have no record before this, and i am 20 years old. what do i do????? what do i say? should i hire a lawyer or get a lawyer appointed? what do you think will happen? i dont have much money, i am trying to pay my way through school. I have over 3,000 hours of community service because i worked for the gov't in washington dc for a year doing community service full time. please give me any advice you can. thank you so much for your time.

T

Tracey

I got news for you. You DID steal the bag. You exerted unauthorized control over the bag knowing it was not yours. The minute you realized the bag was not yours, you had to either turn it back in to the claim area or give it to a security guard. Your claim that you thought you'd be arrested won't wash -- why would you be arrested for returning a bag? There's something you aren't telling us. I don't believe you and neither will the judge. Get a lawyer & pray you get a gullible jury.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">