• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

college tuition refund?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wirez18

I was just wondering if I have any merit in claiming a refund for the college class that I'm taking if the professor who is teaching the class violated his own syllabus.

Here is where it all starts. In the first class we had with this guy, the teacher gave a 15 minute lecture about how the syllabus he is distributing is a legal document between the students and the teacher. However, this same teacher managed to violate that same syllabus in the following ways.

1. The teacher missed 2 classes without any excuse and without making up those lectures.

2. Out of the 10 lectures he was supposed to teach, he only taught 7, thus missing 3 lecture completely, and not even given us any written material on the material missed.

I was just wondering if I have any merit in claiming a refund (or at least a partial refund) for the class because of the fact that the teacher violated his own syllabus which he clearly describes as a "legal document" between two parties, and because the teacher willingly chose not to teacher 3 out of 10 lectures (33% of total material) even though in the beginning of the class it was stated that this material would be covered.

P.S. Just as a point of reference I am currently attending a private college in New York City

Alex

D

dorenephilpot

You may have a well-reasoned argument for a refund.

Check your school's handbook and see if there are any disclaimers that would exempt that situation from a refund.

If you don't see anything that would prohibit a win, write a letter to the administration, detailing what you have told us and see where it gets you.

You may get a refund, but you might also be labeled a troublemaker.

And don't ever take a class with this guy again (or any of his professor friends) because you'll probably get slammed in some way -- and might not even see it coming....

Good luck to you!

vrzirn

Dpn't expect a full grade either. Let's see, 2/3 of a B- is ---hmm? Will not look well on your GPA.

J

justathought

Although the syllabus *might* be construed as a "legal document" it is only a contract between the professor and the student.... I.e. You do this and I give you this grade. If your school works the way mine does, you have a separate "legal document" with the bursar's office regarding your tuition payments.

Of the schools I've attended, class dissatisfaction does not count as a reason to refund once the official withdrawal period is over. Regardless of if you've been satisfied with the class, there is still the overhead costs of having you there, which you've agreed to by staying beyond the withdrawal period. It may be noted in your tuition agreement, and it is definitely noted in your loan packages (if you get them).

But, maybe there's loopholes? Let us know how it goes?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">