• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrested for stealing check, need help, first offense

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Msbhavz

I was recently arrested for stealing and forging a check from my old job. This happened in march of this year. I have a court date on October 18, 2000. I was wondering how long this will stay on my record being that I am 18 and it is my first offense. Will these charges be exponged from my record, or can I pay a fee to have it done. Also I am on a scholarship at my college and I was wondering if they would be notified and if so will I lose my scholarship. Also, I am planning on transferring at the end of the year and was wondering if it were better to say in the application that I have been arrested or to lie? Please, please, please help me. I am not a criminal, I just made a mistake because I had been in the hospital (on my deathbed) at the beginning of the year. It is only my mother and I and money was tight because she stayed home to take care of me and I was unable to work. I only took the check because it was a really rough time. I appreciate your help in this matter.

Jen

L

LadyLiberty

You need to say what state you are in for the lawyers that mey want to give you advice because the laws are different in each state.

Generally any conviction you have after the age of 18 is on your record permanently. However, some places are only concerned with felonies so it would b in your best interest to have your lawyer (get one if you don't have one or have one appointed!!!) try to work out a plea bargain that could get it dropped to a misdemeanor if possible. You didn't say what the amount of the check was or if you had already paid it back. You are more likely to find leniency for $100 that you have paid back than for $10,000 that you can't. Judges rarely care about what motivated you to commit the crime so that probably won't work as a defense.

Have no idea how this may affect your scholarship, but if you lie on an application, they will probably find out sooner or later and then you have to deal with the consequences of that. The truth is usually the best policy.

------------------
Legalize Freedom

M

Msbhavz

Thank you for your response. This is in the state of new jersey. The check was for $1086. I believe I was charged with forgery, utterance, and theft. I am not sure though, I could be wrong.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">