• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what happens if i get married?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lookingananswer

Hi there,

I am a 23 single parent who is going to college at one of the schools here in Los Angeles, CA, because i was a single parnet i was able to get good financial aid from federal goverment for my education..

right now i might get married , anybody know how would this effect my financial aid for college..

thank you ..

C

CombatTN88

lookingananswer said:
Hi there,

I am a 23 single parent who is going to college at one of the schools here in Los Angeles, CA, because i was a single parnet i was able to get good financial aid from federal goverment for my education..

right now i might get married , anybody know how would this effect my financial aid for college..

thank you ..
It would affect your financial aid because once you are married, your wife and you are like one person.

Here is my example. If you and your girlfriend are unmarried, you and her are eligable to get full SSI benefits. So, if you both get married, your and her SSI benefit rates would go way down because you are married.

Same for financial aid, it might not give you more loan than it usually does because you are married.

My best bet is to wait until you are done with college...

You see... hmmmm graduated from high school in 1993, got Bachelor of Science in 1998, and Master of Science in 2000... am now working on my doctorate degree and am only 28 years old, hahahaha... got married in 1998...

Regards, Combat

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">