• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Finalizing an Estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

ww458

State Of Tennessee: 1. My fathers estate has passed the 4 month period after first advertisement, all bills have been paid, all property sold and the money is supposedly in an account. I say supposedly because the executrix(unfortunately a family member) has not communicated any information to us concerning what kind of account or how much is contained in it. An inguiry was made by one of the heirs as to when the final disbursement will be made, the answer given was that she had been the "victim" of bad advice and that the holdup now is an IRS form that was not filed when it should have been. She was vague about the form all she could say was that it was "release or disbursal of inheritance", I know this is poor information, but if anyone on this forum has a clue as to what this form may actually be, if such a thing is required, please pass the info on to me.
2. In the state of Tennessee, after the 4 month waiting period, and after all bills are paid, before the proceeds of the estate can be disbursed does the probate court have to look over the final accounting before the funds can be released. And if that is required, do the heirs have a right to be at the final hearing and if so are they allowed at that time to protest any questionable accountings before the funds are disbursed. If this is the case, then it would appear that it would be the duty of the executor to notify the heirs as to the date of the final hearing. If this is not the case, then it seems that a protest, after funds disbursal, would be practically useless.
Note: as anyone reading these questions can tell, I am involved in a stressful and messy affair, I am in real need of clarification of the questions that I have raised. I feel that the closing of the estate is being needlessly delayed, but it appears to me-from reading some of the other horror stories on here- that the executor seems to be able to do just about anything and the heirs seem to be helpless to get the situation under control. Is this a valid perception? If we are not as helpless as I think, then should an attorney be retained to attempt to get the information needed, and take appropriate action-if there is any- to get the handling of the estate reviewed? Thanks in advance for any help given.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">