• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

twice ripped off/question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

romac

someone b&e'd my house, took about 1200.00 worth of stuff, mostly video systems, games, and cash - quick money. they got the quick money from a pawn shop. The detective who found the stuff says the pawn shop will now sell my stuff back to me - good price the cop says...Is this legal? What happened to the 'receiving stolen goods' crime? and what does this say about the likelihood of prosecuting the b & e artist? If this is the way the system works, it sucks.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Well....there is something called the good faith purchaser -- someone who did not know the goods were stolen.

But.....check your state by using the link below to see what these crimes say in your state: receiving stolen goods and selling stolen goods

https://law.freeadvice.com/resources/statecodes.htm

P

peter

If a pawn shop takes in stolen merchandise..then you would have a right to get all the information they got a DL # adress, and other leagl forms of ID...now if thereisnt any then the Pawn show KNEW IT WAS STOLEN and you can sue them too..and prosecute the criminal..but a lawyer will have to do that.

Also it sounds like the Poice officer might be on the TAKE...splitting the proceeds with the pawn shop....

NOW FOR THE MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION;

Why dont you have renters insurance on your stuff..???

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">