• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

estate property inheritance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

claremy

michigan--my father recently passed away, leaving his estate to this six children. he left his home mortgage free to be sold by the family. the home is not being occupied, and my sister does not
want to put insurance on it while we are trying to sell it. the other 5 children do not agree with her. she is the executer to the will. can she do this and do the rest of us have any legal rights.
also, my husband and i would like to purchase the home. can she stop us from doing that because she doesn't want a family member to purchase it.

thank you, claremy

Seanscott

Legally, I suppose she can neglect to put insurance on the house. I don't know why she would want to as the expense cannot be that great, especially when split 6 ways.

As far as selling you the house - she can decide to put the house on the open real estate market if she wishes.

The biggest problem I have seen with one child buying out the others is agreeing on a fair price. Offer to have it appraised and agree to pay that price. You can save some money by not having to go through a realtor and pay their fees.

This is how I bought my mom's house from her estate. Even then, one of my sisters accused me of making a deal with the appraiser to get a low price!

Some people will never be satisfied.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">