• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Y

yuneman

Hi
I have a question about wills.Hope someone can help.My mom is in the process of writing a will,with the help of a (Texas)lawyer of course and in it she wants to name me as the person that will inherit her property , though my dad died and did not make a will my brothers and sisters have all agree that I should be the next owner or the one to inherit the land therfor they are willing to sign they want no part of it except they want my Mom to write in the will that the property should never be sold by me once I inherit it.My question is,is it legal in the state of Texas to do that?And if it is can a write a new will by me once my mom dies naming some one else as the new person to inherit the land. Also my brothers and sisters want my mom to also state in it that my wife should by no means ever become the owner once I die. I have children by her and I think that my children have a right therefore once my mom dies can I write a new will naming my son the next person to inherit the property. Thanks and hope someone writes with a comment."

ALawyer

While I am NOT a Texas lawyer, in most states if you bequesth property to someone absolutely, you can't control what that person does with it.

BUT by careful planning you CAN get the result you want.

If I were your siblings I would have your mother create a trust for the benefit of her 4 children and all her grandchildren, put the property in the trust, and give you a life estate in the property (or the right to live there so long as it is your principal resdence). At your death, or if you move out, it would revert to the trust and the beneficiaries -- your kids and siblings, would then keep the property unless the trustees decided to sell it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">