• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I really hope this is not a criminal act

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

Feeling Silly

I guess the best way to tell this story in it's quick form is this way. I spend a lot of time online in gaming areas, and through my time have met multitudes of people. Some I have developed great friendships, others I have not. Basically what has happened is, an argument that has been on going for a couple of weeks came to a head the other night with the other guy stating a long list of things about my character. I responded in kind, and also included a few generalisations about a rumor floating around the gaming community that states he is a spose abuser. Anyways, he went balistic, and has now said he is going to take me to court for slander and seek damages. While I never give my name out, I use an online alias, and never have mentioned him more than by his nickname, he has recently started to post with his real name. Is it actually possible that a childish argument could go to court over this? I can provide the actual argument if you like.

Anyways, I feel really stupid now, and hope I do not have to spend a fortune fighting a lawsuit over this.

T

Tracey

Well, you were stupid. Hopefully the stress you're feeling now will induce you to think before typing next time. I doubt he'll sue you. He doesn't know your name or where you live, so he can't serve you with a summons. Just to be sure, contact your alias/email host & instruct them not to give out any of your personal information without written authorization from you.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

F

Feeling Silly

Thank you for your time. It is a well received message.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">