• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First Offender Program

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Arby

Home state: Oklahoma

Does anybody know anything about this First Offender program? From what information I've been able to gather, it's a juvenile diversion/education program of sorts. I was also under the impression that admission to this program had to be determined in a court of law.

My son (14 yrs. old) was suspended from school for playing with matches and when I picked him up from school, the principal said that he would not be allowed back in school unless we enrolled in and completed this program. I got nothing at all in writing, and even though there was a cop present, there was no citations issued. This was the first time anything like this has happened to him, his most serious offense until now has been being mouthy to authority figures.

Can this principal step in and play the role of judge and sentence my son to a program like this or is he just a drunk on authority tyrant wannabe?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">