• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mothers assets before and after death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

--Missouri state---mother died after long illness (cancer) I didn't know untill 6 weeks before she died. My half sister knew this illness approx 2 yrs before she passed We lived 500 miles apart (from half sister and Mom) I knew she was seeing doctors but Half sister said they didn't know what was wrong. She knew of the cancer from day one. She kept this a secret to herself after doctors told her. The reason was that Mother had been left a large amount of money from her man friend. During this time sister had gotten power of atourney to handle mothers affairs. Mother was blind and signed with an X to everything she had to sign (getting the picture) Sister took time off of work to take care of mother and I and my husband split with her her wages lost the last 6 weeks of moms life. Mother took just about everything hard that that was said to her so myself and sister agreeed to not say anything to her about her cancer. This was agreed upon after she was taken to the hospital and myself and my husband found out what was wrong with her.She was never told. She knew that a large amount of money was left to her and Sister knew also because she handled her affairs. Mother was saving her buriel money in her savings (about half). 8 mo.before she passed sister said she found $2700.00 in a drawer and she put it in the savings account to cover the buriel in case she died. Very convient wasn't it? Anyway since mother didn't have a will and knew she had this money from her man friend (he didn't have family) only sister and her knew. Sister had everything including and old tar paper house she lived in transfered into her name which was next door to her.Not knowing about this money that was there from her man friend I signed some papers saying that I would not ask for anything since our agreement was for her to have the old house on a small lot. I knew the man friend was well off and didn't know he had left Mom well off. What led me to realize something was amiss was Sister started a buying spree with a large somes of money. She had opened a new bank account with mother 2 weeks after she learned that mother had cancer this is about 1year before she died. On the buriel savings account mother had me down as benf. of the account. Is there anything I could do to be part of mother's monies since I feel I was duped by my half sister and the way she handled this. ----please reply

L

loku

Your sister could very well have acted with “undue influence” with regard to your mother, and since she concealed a very material fact from you, your agreement may be voidable. I definitely suggest you discuss this with a local lawyer who is familiar with wills, probate and estate planning. You may have a good case. Maybe so good the lawyer could convince your sister to settle this somehow.

Thanks Loku. I was just stuck on that legal form I signed saying I wouldn't come after anything. Since we were in agrement that the old house would be hers. The only good thing about it was the small lot it was on that connected to her property. I'm sure she (sister) opened a new bank account with what was left to mother by her man friend and made herself the co-owner. Mother's friend was quite wealthy . Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">