• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Subpoena without a lawyer???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

Narlybob

I have been charged with a DUI in California. Right now, I am planning on pleading not guilty and will ask the court for an appointed attorney since I cannot afford 6-8 grand. I have one last piece of evidence to collect, and that would be the video tape from the patrol car. I requested it, and was told I need a lawyer to subpoena the tape. Is there a process or way I can approach the courts to file this subpoena myself? Or, should I wait until my arraignment and have my public defender do it then? I'd like to have it now, as to "compare" notes before I put my foot in my mouth.
Thanks, Robert.:confused:

N

Narlybob

Are there no law students or lawyers here that know this one??????
How can I subpoena evidence myself?
I have only studied business law, and nothing in my texts have info of this.
HELP! ;o)

N

Narlybob

I found to subpoena evidence such as video tape, it cannot be requested until after an arrangement. Once a trial has been set, then it may be requested from the District Attorney's office where the case will be handled. This can be done without a lawyer.
Thanks for all the replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">