• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrongfully acused and detained!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gottogo2

can anyone help me? can i sue for this? heres what happend. i basically was wrongfully acused of counterfiting in a store while trying to purchase a camera. i was detained while the secret service was called as well as local cops. all this due to the cashiers faulty couterfit test pen. i was publicly humiliated and harassed as well as detained. when the authorities arrived the money was determined to be real and i was released. can i sue for this cause i sure am mad.
thank for any advice!

T

Tracey

You probably shouldn't sue them. It was an honest mistake on their part. If they didn't detain you any longer than necessary to determine whether the money was counterfeit, you have no cause to sue for unlawful imprisonment. However, you ccould argue that they should have retested the money with a different pen, which would have shown different results. Thus, detaining you for any time without doing a second test was unreasonable & you are entitled to damages.

You may also be able to sue the pen manufacturer, since they made the pen, & should have known that a faulty test result would cause a great deal of embarrassmnet & possibly criminal charges/expenses. You'd need to investigate 3rd party causes of action/warranties.

Practical advice: I doubt you'll find a lawyer willing to even write a nasty letter, unless you are a member of pre-paid legal services. :) Probably best to just drop the matter & not waste any more time on it.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">