• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will Question, Part 1

• Thread starter jojobreckinridg
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jojobreckinridg

North Carolina.

I titled this "Part 1", because I have several topics, concerning the Will of my father-in-law, for which I need advice.

I'll start with the simplest question first--I hope.

I have heard about a law concerning wills that states all children must be included in the estate, to the degree of at least $1 per child.

Is this true, and if so, can someone reference the source and give me a short description of the reference?

Thanks in advance!

Dandy Don

What is the value of this estate?

Indiana probate code is located at:

www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code

Probate code is Title 29

Specific sections mentioning children/surviving spouse are in Sec. 29-1-3-8 and 29-1-3-1--yes, children MUST be mentioned in the will.

I'm not sure if the $1 figure is specifically in the law but it does make common sense in order to avoid a will contest.

Reading the probate code is good for general information purposes, but you really do need to consult with a probate attorney to get the real meaning and interpretation of the law so that you won't jump to erroneous conclusions.

In order to save time, you can mention more than 1 question at a time about your situation.

DANDY DON

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">