• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

proof that I am heir

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

funnygirl

I live in Arizona and my mom died two years ago. She did not have any property worth more than $1000. I did not know anything about probate and did not file any papers with the court. I now find out that the state of AZ and CA may have some unclaimed property of hers worth about $300. I would like to claim this property as her heir but the only documents I have are my birth certificate and her death certificate. Will that satisfy the state?

thanks for your help, Lisa

Seanscott

In Indiana - To prove to the unclaimed property division that you are the rightful heir of property that did not go through probate proceedings, you need the following -

1. Small Estates Affidavit (if deceased total assets are under $25,000)
2. Copy of the owners death certificate
3. Copy of the decedents obituary (if available)
4. Documentation of the Social Security number (this is usually on the death certificate)
5. Copy of a document that connects the deceased to the reporting company OR to the reported address.

If you go to the states' website, you can find the unclaimed property database. It should give you instructions on how to claim the money.

I know you're not in Indiana, but this might give you an idea of what you'll need.

My mother-in-law is living and is on the unclaimed property list, but can't prove to the state that she once lived at the address given. She lived there for about 3 months - 11 YEARS AGO!!

It can be a pain, but worth it. Good luck to you!

Dandy Don

5-4-2002

DEAR FUNNYGIRL:

Visit the Arizona website (www.revenue.state.az.us/unclm/unclprop.htm) and the California website (www.sco.ca.gov) to get answers to your questions.

If you have other brothers and sisters, it would be wise to furnish the unclaimed offices with a list of their names and addresses and to promise that you will split the money with the other heirs, as they are sometimes reluctant to release the money to one heir because they are afraid that one heir might keep all the money for themselves.

Good luck in getting your money back--it may take a few months, but you will eventually get it.

DEAR SEANSCOTT:

If you could mention the source or type of company that is holding your mother-in-laws unclaimed money, I can possibly suggest a solution to how she can find documentation of her address (does the site say the money came from a utility company, or insurance company, etc.?).

Her best option would be to buy (for less than $10) a copy of her credit report, which will show an address history probably as far as 11 years ago and more. Other options might include voter registration records, the reverse criss-cross directory at the library (sometimes called "Cole's Directory" or Polk's Directory), legal documents at a courthouse (if perhaps she had a traffic ticket back then, or utility bill service, etc. or paid property taxes). Or a cancelled check back then, available by checking microfilm records at her bank.

DANDY DON

Seanscott

Hi Don - My mother-in-law was widowed about 23 years ago. This money shows up on the Indiana site from 1991. It is an even $100 from a bank that has been swallowed up by a bigger bank. Makes us think it was a loan fee that her husband paid.

She no longer has any old documents. Thank you very much for the "hints". We'll try that route.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">