• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I file a claim against my brothers estate for an item he wanted me to have?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

annaindy

How do I file a claim against my brothers estate without an attorney. He wanted me to have his TV. Do I need an attorney?
His estate is under 25,000. I live in Indiana he lived in Hamilton Co. IN

Dandy Don

You need to talk to a local probate attorney about how to handle this. You can't file a claim against the estate if whoever has the property did not file paperwork with the court to open the estate and become administrator of it.

You also need to discuss your concerns about the autopsy with the police--if they feel your complaint needs investigating, they will do so.

A

annaindy

Ownership established?

I have just received a copy of the receipt for the TV. It was purchased in my nephew's name and he is willing to try to get the TV. Can we just send the person who has the TV a copy of the receipt and request that he return it? or would it be better to get an attorney. We don't have much money but the person who has the TV does.

Dandy Don

Best to check with an attorney to find out the correct legal way to proceed.

If it were me I would have the nephew go to the house and show this person the receipt, but that is no guarantee that they are going to be cooperative in giving it up. Or you could file a claim in small claims court to try to get it back.

Seems like there is no easy solution to this problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">