• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can you sue the third party for adultery?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rockystar

I was just curious if you can sue the other person for adultery? This person has caused more pain and suffering than my spouse ever could. Harrassment that can't be proved, slander, etc. Isn't the other person just as guilty? especially when they knew that the other one was married.

T

Tracey

No. Spend the money on counseling to deal with the breakup instead.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

M

mscatzie

I am just a woman in the same situation.

I have read and read and asked questions everywhere I could, but apparently no one cares about the spouse that is hurt and the children left behind. In my case, he is living with a separated woman and I can't do anything. He gets away scott free and only has to pay child support. NICE LAWS!!!

2ND = I am in therapy - It doesn't help

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rockystar:
I was just curious if you can sue the other person for adultery? This person has caused more pain and suffering than my spouse ever could. Harrassment that can't be proved, slander, etc. Isn't the other person just as guilty? especially when they knew that the other one was married.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Do you see that writing in RED, above? Without a State name, we can't even attempt to assist you, if we're even able to assist you at all. Laws are different everywhere.

NOTE TO TRACEY:

How can you give a blanket "No" to this writer? You, of all people, should know that some States do have Causes of Action for "Alienation of Affection". However, since we don't know the woman's State at this point, I can neither, and neither can you, say Yes or No to her question. For all we know, she lives in one of those States that allows that Cause of Action.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

[This message has been edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE (edited October 05, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">