• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

College Grading Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kalyx200

(I posted this earlier in the discrimination forum, but I believe this is the appropriate forum for this question.)

I graduated from college a few years ago. When I matriculated, the students were required to pass freshman english in order to graduate from the university. Statistically, the African American students (of which I was one) had a higher failure rate than their white counterparts. It was only when the school began using "blind" scoring (i.e., not identifying the students by name but rather by social security numbers), that the black students started passing at rates comparable, if not better than other students. My question is this. I have a significantly lower GPA because I had to take the "freshman english" course three years in a row until I passsed under the new grading system with an "A" grade. The lower GPA has affected my job prospects significantly as government positions for which I have applied often use GPAs as a selective factor. I am not seeking monetary redress, but I would like to know if I can make my university expunge the former English grades and refactor my GPA since the former grading system was shown to be biased. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

vrzirn

Have you asked them?
You might ask your former instructors if they will retro-actively change your grade to "Incomplete".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">