• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stolen reward money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kittykatkool

I was given a dog by a friend that turned out to be lost. Another friend was aware that I was looking for the owner. She found the ad in the paper that the owners placed for the lost dog. She then called the owners and made arrangments with them to pick up the dog at her house with out my permission. She called me and proceded to tell me that they knew the dog was stolen and they might implicate me in the matter. Reluctantly I turned the dog over to her and she gave them the dog. She came back with a $100.00 and said they gave her this for me for my trouble. The next day I decided to get the paper and call the owners myself and tell them exactly what happened. She lied about the fact that they said the dog had been stolen. Infact he adimtted to me that the housekeeper left the gate open and he got out. He proceded to ask if she gave me the reward money (I already knew about it. It was in the ad.) I said yes and that she only gave me $100.00. He said that he gave her $500.00 as per the ad to give to me. My question about this is, how should this be persued? Is this a crimal case or something I should just persue in small claims court? And can I sue her for the reward money plus the anguish she has put me through. I am not sure what to do or what my legal right may be here in Maryland

[This message has been edited by kittykatkool (edited October 06, 2000).]

T

Tracey

Sue her in small claims court for fraud & breach of fiduciary duty. She represented herself to the owner as your agent, so she's bound to turn over all the money to you. Furthermore, she threatened you with criminal charges she KNEW had no basis in fact to get you to give her the dog. This is extortion & is illegal. File a criminal complaint against her for extortion. The cops will try to talk you out of it, but insist they take the report. Then sue her in small claims court for $400. She'll argue that you never would have found the ad yourself, & you'll have to show that you would have. If you still have them, keep all the newspapers you bought to check the lost ads. This will show that you were being systematic about it & would have found the ad soon. I doubt you can get a pain & suffering award in small claims.

You might send her a letter saying you'll sue her if she doesn't give you the $400, & then she'll end up giving you $400 + court costs! Don't mention the extortion charge as leverage.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">