• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

meth penalties in texas?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

smc

About a year ago I was arrested for a hot check charge (bounced check that I had not paid yet). When searched, they found less than 1/4th of a gram of methamphetamine, which I had gotten to study for my finals. I should have stuck to coffee.

I just received word of my trial. I'm wondering how long of a sentence to expect.

Also, the arrest occurred in an unusual way. My car had stalled at a light, and I got it going, turned the corner, and an officer pulled me over, supposedly to see "if I was doing alright". He ran my license "just to check." Is this legal? I feel like I was pulled over for no wrong-doing on my part.

The main factor in sentencing I'm worried about is that I haven't attended the NA classes or the drug seminar that I was asked to attend by the representative who granted me a "personal recognizance" bond. Will this make me look very unattractive for probation?

P

peter

YES YES AND EVEN MORE YESes

You are a LOSER and will be thrown in Jail.. nice goin bud!

YOU Hadnt paid the bounced check in a YEAR, or gone to NA clasess,

YUP spent the last year buying drugs..., instead of fixing your car...DUH!

S

smc

Actually, the bounced check was paid immediately thereafter. I also attended the hot check classes. The check had not been considered hot for a year, but was actually recent.

I did not attend the drug classes because I would expect them to be tantamount to admission of guilt and an attendant drug problem.

I was working over 40 hours a week and attending a full load of classes at the time of arrest. Car troubles happen even to well-maintined vehicles.

Seriously, "peter". I have professional certifications earned in the meantime, as well as school and work. I've obviously contributed to society, and this charge is the result of a one-time mistake on my part. What do you have to show? A load of misinformative, vindictive responses to people in need of legal information?

Does anyone with actual information to contribute have anything to say to address the uncertainty I'm facing?

M

MBass

Well, I am not positive but I dont think that the charge for 1/4 gram possession is that harsh in Texas. Possession,first offense,clean record other than that one thing, you will get probation and may have to attend a 30 day rehabilitation program,as you also said you didn't attend the NA meetings. Possession is a minor offense as long as it is a one time only deal. Good luck, I wish all I had to worry about was a simple possession charge.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">