• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need to Know Everything about how to argue a case in the Supreme Court!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Checkmate725

Hello all I am a 14 year old High School Student, I am posting this thread in hopes to recieve help for my CIVICS class. Here is what is going on --> I have been selected to be a lawyer in a MOCK Supreme Court trial regarding INTERNET CENSORSHIP. I have chosen to argue the side opposing internet censorship. I just have a few question for you guys, maybe you can help me out.

(1) Can I make objections to comments and such made by the opposing lawyers? Which content can be objected to? Is there any websites you guys know of i could look at to see what i should object to and what i can object to?

(2) Anyone have any good solid FACTS that argue against Internet Censorship, I oculd use in my case. i.e -- Past supreme court cases, lawsuits, cons about censorship.

(3) Thanks guys for all your help in advance, Good luck to you all and wish me luck.

By the way, I live in Michigan and I am conducting a mock supreme court trial for CIVICS class. Thanks.

T

talianna

Since I recall my mock trials all too well, and back in my day we didn't have internet access to help us (and I wish we had!), I did a little "homework" for you. Here's a site with information on a censorship trial that might have some information for you.

http://www.epic.org/free_speech/censorship/lawsuit/aclu_update_5_10.html

I don't know how much different that a Supreme Court hearing would be, but here's information for how a trial should proceed.

http://www.bradley.edu/campusorg/trial/basic_info/stages/

Hope this stuff helps!

Let us know how things went, ok?
Good luck!

C

CombatTN88

A way to go

Toast to you

I loved to argue what methods in the Internet censorship are either unconstititutional or constititutional. I wrote on that term paper a few years ago in college and got A on it.

mandy7181

you may want to focus on using the first amendment as the basis for your case. It doesnt mention the internet but it still applies. Remember back then(1700's) they didnt even know what a typewriter was, yet alone a computer. The supreme court focuses completely on the Constitution. They decide whether a law is unconstitutional or not. So your case must use the constititution as its base.

PS==im not a lawyer, i just love the subject

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">