• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does he still have to pay after death?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hisdaddy

Virginia

My grandfather died this past week. My father (his son) was making payments on furniture which were in my grandfather's name. He was sending the furniture company checks every month from his own bank account to cover my grandfather because he was very sick. Is my father now resposible for this furniture payment now that my grandfather has passed since he was paying on the account for him for so long?

ALawyer

If your father had guaranteed the payments for your grandfather, or co-signed, then he would be liable.

If he was just making a gift to your grandfather, and had no other legal obligation, he's under no duty to continue to make payments.

Dandy Don

This is a matter that only a business law attorney can answer who is familiar with the laws in your state.

How much is owed to the furniture company now? If your grandfather has enough assets in his estate to get the bill paid off, then his executor should pay it off from the estate monies.

I don't think the father is legally/technically liable, but if he doesn't want the furniture to be repossessed, then he should continue paying until it is paid off (if he doesn't want to lose the value of the payments he has already made). Then he could sell it if he wants to get his money back.

DANDY DON

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">