• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting license back???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

txkowgirl6

Hi, I have a friend that asked me to help him do a letter to get special consideration to drive to and from work after receiving a DUI. Does anyone have wording or a sample I could go by. He is 63 years old and has a disabled wife. He is working on an AF base and was caught with a .1. The commander of the base has revoked his license for 1 year and suspended all his driving privliges. He does not live close to any public transportation and a taxi is $5. one way. He is on a very limited income and this is not affordable. Please send any and all suggestions. He needs this letter for consideration in 48 hours. Thank you

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

txkowgirl6 said:
Hi, I have a friend that asked me to help him do a letter to get special consideration to drive to and from work after receiving a DUI. Does anyone have wording or a sample I could go by. He is 63 years old and has a disabled wife. He is working on an AF base and was caught with a .1. The commander of the base has revoked his license for 1 year and suspended all his driving privliges. He does not live close to any public transportation and a taxi is $5. one way. He is on a very limited income and this is not affordable. Please send any and all suggestions. He needs this letter for consideration in 48 hours. Thank you
My response:

We are not in the habit here, on FreeAdvice, to assist drunkards with "letters" that would allow them to drive. Your friend played the odds, and this time, he lost. A Base Commander is judge, jury and executioner when you "break the law" on HIS base.

This was not the first time that your friend has driven drunk - - rather, it was one of the times he was caught. He was either drinking before he went to work, or he was drinking on the base, but whichever it was, he should have thought about his wife and what this might do to them if, and when, he got caught.

In summary, we don't need another drunk driver on the road, or on our military bases. He needs to pay for his "crime" and ride a bicycle.

IAAL

T

txkowgirl6

My IAAL Family Law and Criminal Law, good for you. Anyway, he would gladly ride a bike if he could. He has a heart condition and a military injury that prevents this. No, he is far from the habitual drinker even though I have to agree he could have been caught another time, but I don't know that. He normally goes straight from work home, he works for my husband who can't be involved, but there was a retirement party, no excuse I know. All this aside I'm just looking for wording or a sight to get a sample to request limited driving privileges which are sometimes considered in certain circumstances. Don't lecture now, I'm one of your beloved redheads.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

txkowgirl6 said:
You said - -
"he works for my husband who can't be involved."
My response:

Well, neither can we.

Redhead or not, you really must learn to read. I have already said - -

"We are not in the habit here, on FreeAdvice, to assist drunkards with "letters" that would allow them to drive."

IAAL

N

Narlybob

That's advice? hmmm...seems typical if someone is convicted of anything, you are considered a criminal and avoided like the plague.

The only thing which may help your friend is preparing not just a letter, but reports on his driving record, state wide and nationally. For usually $5, the DMV will give a printout of your license. They go back at least 6-7 years
There is also the National Driver Registry. If your friend has a very good record, perhaps there may be leniency for him to get to and from work. NDR can be found on the web, but it will take a lot more than 48hrs to get the info. And...the request must be notarized.

Also, what about car pooling? I'm sure he could post a note on a bulletin board at work looking to do so.??

T

txkowgirl6

Thank you NarlyBob, I thought this was an advice forum, not a passing judgement one. He has lived in Japan for the last 18 years and has not had any arrests or problems for 33 years, so his driving record is clean. Car pooling in Japan is almost non-existant and he has to be to work at 4 AM and works until 2 PM. We have exhausted almost all thoughts. I'm going to finish the letter now and hope it helps, he's only asking to go to work and home and in those specific hours. Thank you again.

HomeGuru

txkowgirl6 said:
Thank you NarlyBob, I thought this was an advice forum, not a passing judgement one. He has lived in Japan for the last 18 years
**A: makes no difference since he works on a military base and is governed by US jurisdiction.

and has not had any arrests or problems for 33 years, so his driving record is clean. **A: huh, how can his record be clean when he has this DUI?

Car pooling in Japan is almost non-existant and he has to be to work at 4 AM and works until 2 PM. We have exhausted almost all thoughts. I'm going to finish the letter now and hope it helps, he's only asking to go to work and home and in those specific hours. Thank you again.
**A: keep us posted with the results.

T

txkowgirl6

An update: I know those of you holier than thou people won't like this but my letter worked and he got his limited driving privileges. There are those that can consider special circumstances and realize that people can learn from a bad experience and be trusted again.

N

Narlybob

Congratulations! Job well done. Sometimes a simple letter of recommendation can go a long way. As it did with your friend. We all make mistakes in life. Correcting and learning from our mistakes is what makes us better people. Something a few need to learn on this board.
The defense rests.
Good job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">